My Story

I was diagnosed with Stage 3 Her2 positive breast cancer Dec. 27th, 2011. I had three large tumors in my left breast, I also had two positive lymph nodes and so with 5 positive biopsies I started my journey. In the beginning, it was a whirlwind and within a week, I was getting a port and preparing for chemo and the rush to save my life was on. Eight months later (August 20th) after stopping chemo (12 sessions) and not having surgery (a suggested double mastectomy) or radiation like my doctors wanted me to, I sat at Cancer Treatment Centers of America in Illinois and heard the results of a mammogram, MRI, Pet Scan and blood tests were that they could find no cancer in my body. The nurses and doctors were baffled and no one could explain how I could have had this terrible cancer and it was now gone, except for me. I said the Lord healed me through prayers, education, diet and supplements. I started this blog when I was first diagnosed, it is not just about on cancer, but my life and day-to-day thoughts and activities. There are suggested websites, blogs, videos and more here that I believe can benefit those dealing with cancer and those who want to be preventative. My hope is that you and yours will learn, be encouraged and healed. My family prays every night for those with cancer and that you will be not only be healed but that you will live long and happy lives.
Please check out the right side and scroll down to "This blog" for highlights.
Love and Blessings on your journey.
Karri

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Thank God for your Suffering - February 16, 2014

Some of you may have read the headline and thought “That’s crazy!" others may have already thanked God and understand completely, while some of you may be in the midst of suffering and thinking "I just can't even image". Why would you thank someone for something that is causing or allowing suffering? Well, because there is a reason for and behind everything and if you are a Christian then "we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them that are called according to His purpose". Romans 8:28
Jesus said “In this world you will have trouble." John 16:33 and the disciples said “We must go through many hardships to enter the kingdom of God" Acts 14:22.  Life isn't always easy and especially if you are suffering with cancer and pain. But here me out on this... Isaiah told the people to take suffering as "the bread of adversity and the water of affliction". Many people that go through cancer, like me, and end up grateful for the things we learned during our time of “adversity and affliction”. Lance Armstrong even said that if he had to choose between winning the Tour de France and having cancer, he'd choose cancer. There are countless stories of people that have made it through cancer, and yes, even those on their death beds that say they are grateful for the opportunity of the experience. 

If you have cancer or any kinds of struggle in life for that matter, then you have a choice. Suffering is inevitable, so the question isn't will we suffer, but how will we suffer?  Thomas Watson a 17th century pastor said that "affliction works as our preacher and tutor." Humm; he also said that "affliction is the medicine that God uses to carry off our spiritual diseases". A cool thought that takes us back to Romans 8:28!

In the Bible Paul talks about going through trials a lot! He's a pretty amazing guy and I highly suggest that you read what he has to say. One thing he said was "We also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us." Romans 5:3-5a See, there is a reason for suffering!

Teresa of Avila said that "When the Lord begins to grant favors here on earth, greater trails can be expected." I wish I had known that after my cancer. (Believe it or not, I kind of thought that cancer would be the most difficult thing in my entire life!)  God granted the favor of healing me, but he had (and has) more trials for me to come. Cancer wasn't the hardest thing I have ever had to go through and deal with. The most difficult thing was dealing with spiritual warfare (Satan's attack) through God's own people the year I was told I was cancer free. Of course, I believe Ephesians 6:12 that “Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.” But, man, oh man, did I feel the heat and pain from the people. I felt as if I were going to die with the emotional and stressful pain and suffering I had from the whole ordeal, but I now know it was a refining benefit. My cancer was between God and myself, but that attack was definitely Satan and my strengthening in character and hope through the cancer prepared me for the battle.  I learned so much from that experience that I now call it my “boot camp experience” as it really strengthened my faith and trust in Him and his word.  I definitely care less what man and more about what God says then I used to. I look back and think how I could have been so stupid?  And I am sure you all have had those hindsight thoughts. Thank God for those looks back and your growth and maturity, even if it seems slow coming.

My life is pretty darn good right now. I am in the “sweet spot,” if you will. I have a great family, a great job, a great church, good health, etc. But I know that it won't always be this easy; trials are headed my way and yours too. The question is how are we going to handle them?  Are you preparing for the battles to come? I am. And when the battle starts I will “endure hardship like a good soldier.” 2 Timothy 2:3. I know whose army I stand with and who has my back. I am certain it won't be easy, but I am certain there is a reason for suffering. Suffering creates a hope that never disappoints.

For you, O God, have tested us;
    you have tried us as silver is tried.
You brought us into the net;
    you laid a crushing burden on our backs;
you let men ride over our heads;
    we went through fire and through water;
yet you have brought us out to a place of abundance. For You have tried us, O God;


Psalms 66:10 -12



Blessings,
Karri

No comments:

Post a Comment

Don't be shy, please leave a comment or question for me.